Thursday 5 January 2012

Restaurant review- Billabong

Name: Billabong
Location: Suite D-121 Osborne st, Winnipeg

Price Point: 25-50$
Food type: Australian
Parking: Minimal, pay
Overall rating: ****



I went to Billabong for my 22nd birthday, it was my second time there. For starters we ordered my recommendation of kangaroo tacos. It's kangaroo meat, lettuce, assorted veggies and cheese in a wonton-like taco shell. The meat is spicy with a sweet, fruity sauce. Very messy to eat, but I still highly recommend them as they're so delicious. I ordered the steak and it came with crispy, breaded potato wedges, asparagus and other veggies. I ordered it medium rare and I got it medium rare, perfectly done. My mother ordered the kangaroo medallions, and my brother ordered the mango chutney duck. The potato wedges were delish! crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, lots of flavour; would go back just for them. Steak was flavourful and cooked perfectly.
Mom's kangaroo medallions were the envy of ...well, me (Dad and brother werent too crazy about it). Absolutely fantastic, would definitely recommend them to anyone who is going there. A medallion cut is a piece of meat that is cut into small circles, like medallions. Kangaroo tastes similar to beef, but slightly different. The medallions were covered in a delicious bbq sauce and cooked to perfection. The thing with medallions is they're very easy to over cook or burn and they can get very tough. These were very tender and extremely flavourful, I will definitely be ordering it next time I go. As for the duck, now I'm not a duck person myself but I have enjoyed it in the past. This duck however...I did not like at all. It was very gamey, I didnt like the flavour. My brother is a fan of duck, as are my  parents and they said it was perfectly done, so..I'll have to take their word for it.

Overall the service was great, our waiter was very pleasant. Restaurant does not seat a lot of people so if you're planning a large gathering you may want to reconsider this restaurant, but if you're looking for an intimate dinner this is perfect. When we went it was early evening so it was still rather quite, but the restaurant is right beside the lounge with an open doorway separating the 2. The lounge can get quite loud and they sometimes have live music. if you're not sure I would recommend calling ahead of time to see whats going on, they do also take reservations.
The only downside  to the restaurant is they dont have a great dessert menu, they do however have a wonderful crème brûlée!


Bon Appétit!


-Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment